zaterdag 28 november 2015

EVA BRAUN

Geen enkele vrouw kwam dichter bij dictator Adolf Hitler in de buurt dan Eva Braun. Waarom hield zij van één van de grootste massamoordenaars aller tijden? Of was ze ook een slachtoffer?


Eva Anna Paula Braun werd geboren in München (Duitsland) op 6 februari 1912. Friedrich Braun, haar vader, was een onderwijzer en Franziska Braun-Kranbürger, haar moeder, was naaister totdat zij trouwde met Friedrich. Samen hadden ze drie dochters: Ilse, Eva en Gretl.


Van Joodse komaf
Een bijzonder feit is dat Eva Braun waarschijnlijk van Joodse komaf was. Dit bleek uit DNA-onderzoek van een aantal haren op een haarborstel. Het genoom, het complete erfelijke materiaal van een cel, wees op een Joodse komaf. De haren op de haarborstel werden toegeschreven aan Eva, omdat de haren werden gevonden in het verblijf waar zij woonde. Echter weet men niet zeker of deze haren werkelijk van haar waren. Om er zeker van te zijn dat het DNA-materiaal afkomstig was van Eva dient het vergeleken te worden met het DNA van levende familieleden, maar het laatste levende familielid weigerde hieraan mee te werken.

Sport en werk
Eva was gek op sporten en genoot onder andere van skiën, schaatsen en dansen. School was een andere zaak voor haar; ze blonk niet uit. Haar opleiding volgde ze op een school in een andere plaats, maar ze keerde na een jaar terug naar haar geboorteplaats. Zij werkte kortdurend voor een arts en later als typiste, maar kwam uiteindelijk in de fotostudio te werken van de toenmalige fotograaf en vriend van Adolf Hitler. In de winkel hielp zij eerst mee als assistente en later ook bij het ontwikkelen van de foto’s.

De eerste ontmoeting
Het eerste contact met Hitler vond plaats in oktober 1929, waarbij de 17-jarige Eva onder de indruk was van hem. Hij werd voorgesteld als de heer Wolf. Hitler was toen 40 jaar. Aan haar zus Gretl schreef ze dat ze een oudere man had ontmoet met een grappige snor en een hoed.
Hitler kreeg aandacht van diverse vrouwen. Het leek alsof de aandacht van Eva hem weinig deed, want hij uitte zich er niet over. Eva was een van de vele vrouwen die viel voor Hitler. Haar jaloezie leidde vermoedelijk tot haar eerste zelfmoordpoging in augustus 1932. Haar zus Ilse vond haar in een plas bloed. Er volgde een tweede zelfmoordpoging in mei 1935, waarbij ze een overdosis slaappillen slikte. Hierna gaf Hitler haar meer aandacht, omdat hij nog een schandaal wilde voorkomen. Dit schandaal had zich jaren eerder voorgedaan bij zijn nicht Geli Raubal, toen zij dood gevonden werd in hun appartement in München. Zij woonde samen met Hitler. Hitler wilde niet dat een dergelijke situatie gevolgen zou hebben op politiek gebied. Bronnen vermelden dat hij Eva daarna meer aandacht gaf. Of Eva na deze zelfmoordpogingen werkelijk meer aandacht kreeg van de man die ze begeerde blijft onduidelijk.

Eva en Hitler
Hitlers vader wilde niet dat het politieke en persoonlijke leven van zijn zoon werden verweven. Ook was Friedrich, Eva’s vader, het oneens met de relatie van zijn dochter. Tim Gray, de voorzitter van de World War II Foundation in Amerika, zegt over het contact met haar ouders: “We weten niet zeker of Eva nog contact hield met haar ouders toen ze een relatie had met Hitler.” Over de relatie van de twee zegt hij: “Eva was in het begin echt verliefd op hem. Ze zag wat ze wilde zien en op zijn beurt vertelde Hitler haar wat ze wilde horen.” Later had Eva door dat hij een machtig man was en dit versterkte de aantrekkingskracht. “Maar de liefde die ze voelde in het begin bleef niet lang bestaan,” volgens Gray.
Hitler bood Eva onderdak, gevolgd door een geïsoleerd bestaan. Haar dagen vulde ze met lezen en andere activiteiten. Later verhuisde Eva naar Berlijn en werd zij wederom afgesloten van de wereld. Weinig mensen wisten van haar bestaan af. Ze trad weinig in het openbaar. Ook toen ze naar de Berghof verhuisde, een van Hitlers huizen in het zuiden van Duitsland, hield ze zich afzijdig. Als er gasten arriveerden, werd Eva naar haar kamer gestuurd. Hitler besprak geen relaties met zijn naasten, waardoor de aard van zijn relatie met Eva voor de buitenwereld onduidelijk bleef. Hun relatie stond echter wel beschreven in Hitlers privétestament.
“Omdat Eva in de beginfase werkelijk gevoelens voor Hitler had, vertroebelde haar blik”, vervolgt Gray. “Eva had zeker last van een ‘heldencomplex’, want Hitler was natuurlijk een machtig man.” Volgens Gray was Hitler de machtigste man op de wereld toen de oorlog uitbrak. “Hij genoot in Duitsland van een goddelijke status. Eva zag macht in hem en dat wilde ze.”
Invulling van haar dagen
Omdat Eva een solitair leven leidde in Hitlers huis, vulde ze haar dagen met sporten, lezen, romantische films kijken. Ze bleef echter onvoorwaardelijk trouw aan Hitler. Dit maakte ze onder andere duidelijk in brieven naar hem, waarin ze schreef dat zij, sinds hun eerste ontmoeting, hem trouw bleef en hem tot de dood zou volgen. Ook voegde ze toe dat ze leefde voor zijn liefde. Volgens Gray komen veel foto’s van Hitler van haar hand: “Ze maakte veel kleurenfoto’s van hem met haar eigen camera.”
Toch klaagde ze regelmatig over de frequentie waarin ze Hitler zag. Dit schreef zij in haar dagboek uit 1935, waarvan 32 pagina’s bewaard zijn gebleven. Het gaat om de fragmenten van 6 februari tot 28 mei. Hitler beval dit schriftelijke bewijs te vernietigen. Bronnen vermelden dat ze in haar dagboek klaagde over zijn houding tegenover haar. Eva schreef hoe ze uit keek naar zijn bezoeken, maar schreef ook hoe ongelukkig ze was. Dit blijkt wel uit de volgende regels: “Ik ben zo ongelukkig dat ik niet naar hem kan schrijven. Deze aantekeningen moeten maar dienen als een vergaarbak van mijn klaagliederen.” Enerzijds had ze een man die ze begeerde, maar ze was ongelukkig hoe zij haar leven vulde om hem te blijven begeren. “Nadat de liefde uitgedoofd was, was Eva bang om uit de relatie te stappen. Waarschijnlijk kreeg ze toen een beter beeld van wie Hitler was. Natuurlijk speelden ook psychische problemen en een vermoedelijke depressie een rol,” aldus Gray. “Er is niet bekend of Eva leed aan andere ziektes.”

De wereld leerde haar kennen
Na het uitbreken van de Tweede Wereldoorlog verscheen ze steeds meer in het openbaar. Hoewel weinig mensen van haar bestaan af wisten, waren de indrukken wisselend. Ze werd omschreven als open en natuurlijk en ze had een aantrekkelijke verschijning. Er werd zelfs gezegd dat ze steeds krachtiger in het openbaar optrad en veranderde van een verlegen vrouw naar een zelfverzekerde, daadkrachtige vrouw. Haar machtspositie naast Hitler groeide. Toch vond men dat ze ongelukkig was. De chauffeur van Hitler bestempelde Eva als de ‘ongelukkigste vrouw op aarde’, aangezien haar leven volledig in het teken van Hitler stond. Het kwam regelmatig voor dat Eva hem enkele weken of zelfs maanden niet zag. Zo kreeg zij ook de bijnaam ‘de vrouw in de vergulde kooi’ van een van Hitlers naasten. Dit gemengde beeld van een ongelukkige vrouw tegenover het hebben van een sterke positie naast Hitler blijft tot op heden bestaan. Gray’s beeld van haar is eenzijdiger: “Ze heeft een gebrek aan zelfvertrouwen en was onzeker. Hitler hielp haar die onzekerheden te boven te komen, maar mentaal betaalde ze hier de hoofdprijs voor als de vrouw van de meest gevreesde en verafschuwde man ter wereld.” Gray vermoedt dat het nooit in haar is op gekomen om Hitlers leven te beëindigen: “Ik geloof niet dat die gedachte in haar is opgekomen ondanks haar toegang tot hem.” Vermoedelijk een teken dat de liefde die Eva ooit voor hem voelde oprecht was. “Ze durfde deze relatie niet te verbreken, uit angst. Daarnaast werd ze geplaagd door haar eigen demonen. Ze realiseerde zich dat ze er tot haar hoofd toe in zat.”
KORTSTE HUWELIJK OOIT
Het kortste huwelijk ooit staat op 55 uur. Als Eva en Hitler inderdaad slechts 40 uur getrouwd waren, zou dat wel eens het kortste huwelijk ooit zijn.
“Tot de dood ons scheidt”
Het tweetal trouwde op 29 april 1945. De trouwakte bleef bewaard. Eva ondertekende dit niet met haar naam “Eva Braun”, maar met “Eva Hitler, geboren Braun”.
Haar loyaliteit nam ze mee het graf in en haar leven eindigde met zelfmoord door het innemen van cyanide. Cyanide is een gif bestaande uit een koolstof- en stikstofatoom en zorgt in een hogere doses voor o.a. een adem- of hartstilstand. Dit gebeurde op 30 april 1945, vlak nadat Hitler zichzelf om het leven bracht met een pistool. Haar lichaam, samen met dat van Hitler, werden gecremeerd in de Reich Chancellery tuin. Uiteindelijk werden ze in Magdeburg begraven. Op het moment van hun zelfmoord waren ze minder dan 40 uur getrouwd. Zo hield Eva zich aan haar woord en volgde hem tot in de dood.


Franziska Braun and her daughters Eva, Gretl and Ilse


Ouders van Eva






Scientists tested hair samples which are said to have come from a hairbrush used by Eva Braun

Pictures taken from a photograph album Eva Braun made for a friend in 1941

Pictures taken from a photograph album Eva Braun made for a friend in 1941

Found: The brush and a mirror, both pictured, were taken from Eva Braun's private apartment in Bavaria
The brush and a mirror, both pictured, were taken from Eva Braun's private apartment in Bavaria


Couple: Adolf Hitler with Eva Braun, who may have been descended from a Jewish family

Dinner: Hitler and Eva Braun. The tests were inconclusive because Braun's descendants refused a DNA test

Private life: This photograph of the Fuhrer sleeping next to Eva Braun was banned during his lifetime

Mistress: The pair wed in Hitler's bunker less than two days before he took his own life

Eva Braun





Braun-1089-2.jpg

eva-braun-3

Hitlers bunker, gefotografeerd na het eind van de Tweede Wereldoorlog.
Hitlers bunker, gefotografeerd na het eind van de Tweede Wereldoorlog.





The Main Salon - The Berghof


The Berghof


The Large Dining Room - The Berghof


Authentic diary entries and letters have been reprinted in a book written by a confidant of the Braun family: Nerin E. Gun, Eva Braun-Hitler: Leben und Schicksal (New York and Bruchsal/Baden, 1968).

In his book The Psychopathic God Robert Waite renders a letter Adolf Hitler wrote to Eva Braun shortly after the attempt on his life in July 1944:
"Mein Liebes Tschapperl,
Don't worry about me. I'm fine though perhaps a little tired. I hope to come home soon and then I can rest in your arms. I have a great longing for rest, but my duty to the German people comes before everything else. Don't forget that the dangers I encounter don't compare with those of our soldiers at the Front. I thank you for the proof of your affection and ask you also to thank your esteemed father and your most gracious mother for their greetings and good wishes. I am very proud of the honor - please tell them that - to possess the love of girl who comes from such a distinguished family. I have sent to you the uniform I was wearing during the unfortunate day. It is proof that Providence has protected me and that we have nothing more to fear from our enemies.

From my whole heart, your A.H."




This letter was Eva's reply:
"Geliebter,
I am beside myself. I am dying of anxiety now that I know you are in danger. Come back as soon as possible. I feel as if I am going insane.

The weather is beautiful here and everything seems so peaceful that I am ashamed of myself ... You know I have always told you that I would die if anything happened to you. From our first meeting on, I have promised myself to follow you wherever you go, even to death. You know that I live only for your love.

Yours Eva"





Sketch of Eva Braun
made by Adolf Hitler











Twenty-two pages of Eva Braun's 1935 diary were found after the war - a fascinating document of an immature young woman whose love for Hitler is unmistakably sincere.

This early, authentic diary for the period from February 6 to May 28 1935 exists, both in German script and in English typescript translation, in the National Archives, Washington, D.C.
"February 6, 1935
I think this must be the right day to begin this extra-special diary. I have now reached the happy age of 23. No, happy is not quite the right word. At this particular moment I am certainly not happy.

The truth is that I have rather large ideas about the importance to be attached to this day: If I had a dog I would not feel so lonely, but I suppose that is asking for too much.

Frau Schaub came as an ambassador bringing flowers and telegrams. The result is that my whole office resembles a flower shop and smells like a cemetery chapel.

I suppose I am ungrateful, but I did want to be given a dachshund. And I just don't have one. Perhaps I'll get one next year, or much later, when it will be more appropriate for a budding old maid.

What is important is not to give up hope. I should have learned to be patient by now.

Today I bought two lottery tickets, because I had a feeling that it would be now or never--they were both blanks. So I am not going to be rich after all. Nothing at all to be done about it.

Today I was going to Zugspitze with Herta, Gretel, Ilse, and Mutti, and I should have had a wonderful time, for it is always most enjoyable when other people are enjoying themselves, too. But nothing came of it. This evening I am going to have dinner with Herta. What else can you do, when you are a little single woman of 23? So I shall end my birthday "with gluttony and drunkenness." I think this is what he would want me to do.


February 11, 1935
He came to see me, but nary a sign of a dog or a chest of drawers. He did not even ask me what I wanted for my birthday. So I bought some jewelry for myself. A necklace, earrings, and a matching ring, all for 50 marks. All very pretty, and I hope he likes it. If he doesn't, then he should choose something for me himself. 
February 18, 1935
Yesterday he came quite unexpectedly, and we had a delightful evening.

The nicest thing is that he is thinking of taking me from the shop and -- but I had better not get excited about it yet -- he may give me a little house. I simply must not let myself think about it. It would be marvelous. I wouldn't have to open the door to our "beloved customers," and go on being a shopgirl. Dear God, grant that this may really happen not in some far-off time, but soon.

Poor Charly is ill and won't be able to come with me to Berlin. But perhaps that is best after all. Br. can be very rude to her sometimes, and that would make her even more unhappy.

I am so infinitely happy that he loves me so much, and I pray that it will always be like this. It won't be my fault if he ever stops loving me.

I am so terribly unhappy that I cannot write to him. These notes must serve as the receptacle of my lamentations.

He came on Saturday. Saturday evening there was the Town Ball. Frau Schwarz gave me a box, so I absolutely had to go after I had accepted. Well, I spent a few wonderfully delightful hours with him until 12 o'clock and then with his permission I spent two hours at the ball.

On Sunday he promised I could see him. I telephoned to the Osteria and left a message with Werlin to say that I was waiting to hear from him. He simply went off to Feldafing, and refused Hoffmann's invitation to coffee and dinner. I suppose there are two sides to every question. Perhaps he wanted to be alone with Dr. G., who was here, but he should have let me know. At Hoffmann's I felt I was sitting on hot coals, expecting him to arrive every moment.

In the end we went to the railroad station, as he suddenly decided he would have to go. We were just in time to see the last lights of the train disappearing. Once again Hoffmann left the house too late, and so I couldn't even say good-by to him. Perhaps I am taking too dark a view, I hope I am, but he is not coming again for another two weeks. Until then I'll be miserable and restless. I don't know why he should be angry with me. Perhaps it is because of the ball, but he did give his permission.

I am racking my brains to find out why he left without saying good-by to me.

The Hoffmanns have given me a ticket for the Venetian Night this evening, but I am not going. I am much too miserable. 
March 11, 1935
There is only one thing I want. I would like to be seriously ill, and to hear nothing more about him for at least a week. Why doesn't something happen to me? Why do I have to go through all this? If only I had never set eyes on him! I am utterly miserable. I shall go out and buy some more sleeping powder and go into a half-dreamlike state, and then I won't think about it so much.

Why doesn't that Devil take me with him? It would be much better with him than it is here.

I waited for three hours in front of the Carlton, and had to watch him buying flowers for Ondra and inviting her to dinner. (That was just my mad imagination. March 16th.)
He only needs me for certain purposes, otherwise it is not possible. This is idiocy.

When he says he loves me, it only means he loves me at that particular instant. Like his promises, which he never keeps. Why does he torment me like this, when he could finish it off at once? 
March 16, 1935
He has left for Berlin again. If only I didn't go mad when he sees me so rarely. After all, it is quite obvious that he is not really interested in me when he has so much to do in politics.

Today I am going to the Zugspitze with Gretel, and perhaps my insanity will then leave me.

In the past everything turned out well, and it will be the same this time.


April 1, 1935
Yesterday he invited us to dinner at the Vierjahrenzeiten (Four Seasons). I sat with him for three hours and we did not exchange a single word. At the end he handed me, as he had done before, an envelope with money in it. It would have been much nicer if he had enclosed a greeting or a loving word. I would have been so pleased if he had. But he not think of it.

Why isn't he going to dine with the Hoffmanns? If he did, I would at least have had him to myself for a few minutes. I hope he doesn't come any more until his house is ready.
May 10, 1935
As Frau Hoffmann so affectionately and tactlessly informed me, he has now found a replacement for me. She is called Valkyrie, and that's what she looks like, including her legs. He likes measurements of this kind, but if she is really like that, he will soon make her thin with vexation unless, like Charly, the more worries she has, the fatter she gets. Charly's vexations only stimulate her appetite.

If Frau Hoffmann's information is correct. I think it is terrible that he should say nothing to me about it. After all, he should know me well enough to realize that I would never put anything in his way if he suddenly discovered his heart belonged to someone else. What happens to me is no concern of his.

I shall wait until June 3rd, when three months will have passed since our last meeting. Then I will ask for an explanation. Will anyone say this is not a modest demand?

The weather is so wonderful, and I, the mistress of the greatest man in Germany and in the world, am sitting here and gazing at the sun through a window. How can he have so little understanding as to let me remain here, bowing to strangers.

Man proposes, etc. And as one makes one's bed... It is all my fault, but it is nice to put the blame on others. The time of fasting will end, and then everything will taste so much better.

It is a pity it is spring.

May 28, 1935
I have just sent him the crucial letter. Question: will he attach any importance to it?

We'll see. If I don't get an answer before this evening, I'll take 25 pills and gently fall asleep into another world.

He has so often told me he is madly in love with me, but what does that mean when I haven't had a good word from him in three months?

So he has had a head full of politics all this time, but surely it is time he relaxed a little. What happened last year? Didn't Roehm and Italy give him a lot of problems, but in spite of all that he found time for me.

Maybe the present situation is incomparably more difficult for him, nevertheless a few kind words conveyed through the Hoffmanns would not have greatly distracted him.

I am afraid there is something behind it all. I am not to blame. Absolutely not.

Maybe it is another woman, not the Valkyrie -- that would be hard to believe. But there are so many other women.

Is there any other explanation? I can't find it.

God, I am afraid he won't give me his answer today. If only somebody would help me -- it is all so terribly depressing.

Perhaps my letter reached him at an inopportune moment. Perhaps I should not have written. Anyway, the uncertainty is more terrible than a sudden ending of it all.

I have made up my mind to take 35 pills this time, and it will be "dead certain." If only he would let someone call."






Eva Braun poseert in de fotozaak van Hoffmann in München
Eva Braun poseert in de fotozaak van Hoffmann in München








 





Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten